With many fancy dress shops already planning and buying in their stock, it’s amazing how early in the year people start planning for Halloween!
In the UK, thanks in part to all the U.S. TV we watch, Halloween has gone from a time when a few kids go out ‘tick or treating’ dressed up as a witch or vampire, to something that’s a great excuse for adults to get dressed up and go out or have a party! It’s not even limited to being ‘something scary’ anymore. Like the Americans, we seem to be starting to wear whatever we want to wear.
In fancy dress terms, Halloween has actually overtaken Xmas and New Year for getting dressed up. It’s huge! Popular costumes vary, but depend a lot on what new films or TV shows have inspired the masses. Twilight has had a big impact, as have all the Zombie themed Films and TV shows and video games of late. Here in Bristol for example, there is a ‘Zombie Walk’ every Halloween in the city centre (http://www.guide2bristol.com/
and elsewhere in the country alongside
paintball, group activities are including Zombie experiences (http://2.8hourslater.com/ or http://www.zedevents.co.uk/).
So what’s predicted to be big this year?
- Harry Potter might be old news now, but kids are still enjoying the books so expect to see children still dressed up as characters from the books.
- Woman in Black was a film released this year, and it’s spooky theme will lend itself well to Halloween for fans.
- Jonny Depp films always influence the fancy dress market (just look at how popular pirates become, especially Captain Jack Sparrow following Pirates of the Carribbean). His recent film Dark Shadows will just add to the Vampire obsession, but with a gothic, 18th century look rather than the more modern versions we’ve seen.
- Twilight is still so popular, and has a huge huge base of obsessive fans, so expect to see a few dressed up with a Twilight theme!
- Snow white and the huntsmen could encourage a bit of wicked queen action, or perhaps other characters from the film.
- Baddies in films make great fancy dress costume ideas for Halloween. New Batman Film, Dark Knight Rises, has been huge, sodressing up as Batman, Catwoman or Bane is likely to be very popular.
Even so, a good costume has to be orginal. There's nothing worse than turning up at a fancy dress event and finding others dressed the same anyway, but with fancy dress, it's more so, as the point it to be different from the norm! A few years ago I turned up at an 80's movie party dressed up as Jessica Rabbit.... only to find 4 others dressed the same. My partner, dressed as Indiana Jones however was the only one (and we thought that was more obvious!).
So why not try something different this year?
Hire something really special and stand out in the crowd from the smiffy's ebay purchasers. I(f you're in Bristol especially, check out our fancy dress hire options
We'll be adding to our Halloween fancy dress section in the coming months, ready for October, but or try something less traditional from one of our other sections? Perhaps one of the Skeleton Pirates from the Pirates of the carribbean film Curse Of the Black Pearl (http://www.fancydressfanatics.co.uk/#/costumes-for-hire/4564595785/PIRATES-WENCHES), or go as a ghost of someone from history such as shakespeare (http://www.fancydressfanatics.co.uk/#/shop/4564595793/ELIZABETHAN-MAN-%28BLACKADDER%29/2293876)?
Any other ideas? We'd love to hear about them!!!!!! Especially as we're making our Halloween collection at the moment.